Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sat, Feb 9 - Arrive in Guatemala City

The mountains in Guatemala were beautiful, covered in green. The sides of the mountains and ravines were very steep, yet still had trees, bushes, grass growing on them. It is a volcanic and erosion scupted terrain. From the plane:

Parts of Guatemala City, the suburbs, I guess, had steep ravines around odd shaped plateaus. Each plateau I saw was completely covered with tightly packed homes and building. But each ravine was completely green with plant growth.

Customs in Guatemala City was quick and easy. I was to meet Bobby near at the car rental area. I asked directions, scanning the crowds for Bobby as I went, but everyone I asked spoke only Spanish (and me only English). They sent me to the taxis, then to the parking garage ... no car rentals in sight. I then backtracked and heard my name from the crowd. We had both missed each other the first time I went by.

Pastor Miguel and his dentist neighbor Alfredo were with Bobby. We skipped on renting a car as they both assured us that between the two of them, they could drive us everywhere all week.

From there, we went downtown to Reforma Blvd to eat at Restaurante Katok. There was a Pizza Hut by the parking lot that delivered by scooter. Carl with delivery person:

We ordered a meal and while we waited for the food, Alfredo took me on foot a few blocks to see the Wyndam Camino Real Hotel. The lobby was stunning (I love interesting architecture), with gorgeous marble floors, walls and columns, plus antique furniture. Carl in front of the hotel:

Back at the restaurant, the four of us shared a family style meal that included two different kinds of steak each, rice, corn, potatoes, soup, refried black beans, tortillas, salsa and bottled water . . . only $41 US including tax and tip! Nice meal!

After dinner we drove around the city some. It was dark, but on 6th Ave, street vendors were taking down their booths, many of which were thrown together with pipes, wire mesh boxes and such. They sell anything and everything, including pirated CDs and DVDs. There were also children there (some very young) with their parents. Bobby said for many, this is their life, every day.

We also drove by the city square (every city has one) and saw the Presidential Palace below:

Bobby and I stayed the night at a Howard Johnsons (Wayne arrives before 6 am the next day), which was also on Reforma Blvd.











No comments: